Monday, August 16, 2010

When has the livin' been easiest?


First off, did I mention that I had some terrific times with my fam for 2 full weeks of August? Let this collage (compliments of Picassa) show you how easy livin' was in the ol' SLC and Reno.
Maybe I am just imagining things but it really seems like this has been the best summer of my life. Is this too bold of a statement? I remember a wise Redfish coworker once pointed out that "summers are sacred". This thought has the potential to be a very true thing indeed so I don't take my aforementioned statement lightly. Still I think that this has very well been just about the best summer ever.

It surprises me to realize what a good life it has been these last 2-3 months being that I have worked a respectable amount of time through June and July librarianing summer school in Round Rock ISD. I spent the hottest hours of the day in an cool library reading some of my favorite books like Elephants Can Paint Too, Rattletrap Car, I Stink and loads of other read aloud gems to some very enthusiastic 5 and 6 year olds. A good confirmation that you want to be an elementary school librarian is when you sing "One Elephant Went Out to Play" or "Going on a Lion Hunt" until you are hoarse and still wonder why you are getting paid.

When I got off at 3:30 (such a luxurious time to get off of work), it was often off to Town Lake to take Matt to his rowing class and me to my Deep Eddy Pool. How had we not partaken in these local recreational marvels until this summer?! Deep Eddy Pool is the loveliest marriage of spring fed water into a multi-lane lap pool. It has been just about the only relief around for this Austin summer heat but 2 or 3 jumps into that pool a week was enough to keep my thoughts cool while crossing a Costco parking lot on a Saturday. That is one powerful rush!

Yep. Swimming in spring water, watching Matt row from the docks, reading youth fiction for leisure, attending a handful of Paramount Summer Film Series flicks, lots of Sonic happy hours, being wined and dined by friends saying farewell, having a helluva Cake Dome Party with some great Utah folk and knowing that I have to soak up all the Austin flavor while I can has made for a great "carpe diem" kind of June-August. This summer was just about as sacred as it gets.


For your viewing pleasure, here is Matt stearing for his graduation row last month.

3 comments:

linny said...

Some people just know how to find happiness wherever they go:) Next year you will be singing praises about the joys of Scotland.

Lindsey Hicks said...

I was just examining that collage a little closer and I must ask: Who is that pretty girl next to TR?

Lindsey Hicks said...

I've been looking at your blog every day for an answer. I'm sure you're super busy getting settled in Scotland. I can't wait to read about your adventures.