Thursday, August 19, 2010

How did Abraham do it without Craigslist?

Life has sped up to what seems like warp speed since coming back to Austin. So much to do to move out of the country! No wonder not many people end up doing it.

I have started to get over the scary, sad "I am going to miss everything I can't bring with me phase" into the "let's purge this apartment and never look back!" Of course I will look back with nostalgia to the experiences I have had but having a good and proper Exodus of sorts is pretty healthy to do every once and a while. In the words of a dear, spiritual friend of mine this is "my Abraham experience". Perhaps I am overdramatic to claim such things but it is really quite liberating. Gets you to thinking about how there is very little we take with us after this life. So few things are important besides experiences, relationships and what we learn. Yep. I am waxing biblical now but this experience is making an impact on me - what can I say?

And oh the wonders that craigslist can bring when you are ready for an "Abraham experience"! We are shedding stuff so quick it gets a little addicting and I have to remind myself that some things really ought to be kept around for when we return. The thing is, I am having a hard time planning more than a year, a month, a week in advance - which is an unusual thing for me indeed. It is a truly an immortal experience to rid yourself of so many things and just start to lean into the curve a bit. Less stuff can somehow make you feel a bit more powerful. Without stuff, all I have to worry about is me and Matt and I have taken care of me for a long time now - even a 1/4 a century; Matt and I have figured out all kinds of unexpected, difficult things in 3 1/2 years. I can do that! Even in a different place.

In other news, housing has had some hiccups. Turns out the most likely scenario for Matt and I to find a place is going to have to be when we get there and can represent ourselves "in person" at the apartment viewings. I started to hyperventilate a bit when trying to come to terms with a scenario of staying in a hostel for a week, navigating bus routes through a city I never been to and trying to keep up with 12 credit hours worth of coursework. Again, I am learning to take a deep breath, lean into the curve and get a "what the Hell - why not?" kind of feeling. Yep. I am pretty much getting invincible right now.

I still could use some extra prayers for our visas though....


Matt giving his bass some goodbye chords. I started to feel a bit sad he was giving it up (his first instrument). I asked him if he felt sad and he just responded by saying, "I just want somebody else to play it." Then I realized this was the first time he had played it in a year and there many worthy financial causes in Scotland to look towards!

1 comment:

LJ said...

We had 13 boxes of books to unpack in our new apartment. And we had just gotten rid of at least six boxes before we even left. I've got a big DI box sitting in our bedroom and am still shedding stuff as we unpack.

Yes, it is liberating. Also addicting.