Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Get an MLS to learn MBWA

One of the best things about being in a graduate school, that is more like trade school than anything academic, is that you get assigned to such riveting texts as:



Yep. In this book you will find text that is as as uninspiring as an instruction manual on typing (not the Mavis Beacon sort either). You will also find explanations on endless theories of how to motivate employees (turns out that better pay is one of the best incentives along with compliments) and why "synergy" and "vision" from a leader is key for a happy workplace. Well, maybe I could have assumed as much, but I never expected to learn about MWBA or "Managing By Walking Around".

Want to learn more?

Managing By Walking Around
"Another good way for managers to supplement information received from formal channels of communication is for the managers to get out of their offices, walk around the organization, and spend some time with employees. This means of ensuring informal communication is usually referred to as managing by walking around, or MWBA. Just as managers should be aware of what is being circulated on the grapevine, they also should be aware of what is going on in parts of the organization away from their offices" (p. 376-377).

This is revolutionary. Really. Not only that but it explains why my mom has looked over to her classroom door window recently to find the school principal's face pressed up against it, looking in. It is simple what he was doing. Clearly he read Stueart and Moran's text and learned the ol' MBWA technique. Every manager is doing it nowadays....

4 comments:

linny said...

I have to admit I use the MBWA.

cate said...

All teachers are guilty of that, I believe.

Unknown said...

I remember the first reading assignment I did for one of my MLIS classes was in a reference text book. The first 30+ (unriveting) pages were spent telling the reference librarian to be friendly, and not stand with their arms closed, etc. It definitely made me question, "I went to grad school to learn this?"

Unknown said...

p.s. I am impressed with your "Want to learn more?"

You are a good librarian already.