Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sweetbreads.

Matt came home tonight from the library with a handful of CDs, the 3rd HP movie and The Country Cooking of Ireland. The cookbook has a beautiful cover with gorgeous accompanying photographs of the dishes, as every good cookbook should.

Though the book is full of some appealing savory soup recipes (leek and oatmeal soup - intriguing...) and comfort foods done right (proper shepard's pie!), there are a fair share of untouchables woven throughout. While paging through some of the recipes I came across the following:

- Roasted Loin and Venison
- Collard Head (exactly what it sounds like)
- Creamed Sweetbreads
- Lamb's Liver with Whisky Cream Sauce
- Michalemas Goose
- Leek and Black Pudding Pizza

It is a hefty book. Perhaps even comprehensive of the Irish culinary culture (there is certainly things from all over the spectrum). And it got me thinking. Perhaps I should do my own Julie and Julia narcissistic musings and cook my way through this cookbook - variety meats and all.

Then I got thinking again. That is actually a terrible idea. How about I just cook the things that appeal to me in that cookbook and not write much about it since there is really nothing significant about how it relates to my life. Afterall, I find no life metaphors in head cheese or blood sausage and no doubt you wouldn't want to hear them if I did. Still, perhaps if something goes right with one of the more approachable recipes, I'll let you know about it:)

In the meantime, here is what Mr. Andy B has found profound about such novelties.

No comments: