Sunday, September 4, 2011

A Public Librarian's Star Trek Convention

So can I nerd-out on you right now? Public librarian-style, that is. While meeting with HR this week to set up the ol' health benefits and a few things, I asked about an upcoming training the library would be having for Columbus Day. They told me that it was going to be a pretty cool set up and in passing mentioned that the keynote speaker would be Nancy Pearl.

"Nancy Pearl?!!"

Oh yeah, didn't I already know that?

No. I didn't. But I am glad to know that I can spend my next couple months becoming Trekie-level of excited about getting to hear from the legend herself. Afterall, this is a public librarian who not only has her own Wikipedia page and series of hugely popular reader advisory reference books. Not only has she contributed to NPR on subjects like the upcoming Harry Potter installments. But this lady has been made into her own action figure. Come on - admit that is pretty cool. Tell me, do you have to be a library nerd to think that is impressive?

In the meantime, I need to come up with a list of books to do some "booktalks" or "book pitches" for that training day as well. I am think of doing a series of books under the theme of ...

"Books for Reluctant Boy Readers":
1. Airman by Eoin Colfer
2. Looking for Alaska or An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
3. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
4. Shakleton's Stowaway
5. Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief  by Rick Riordan
6....etc

or

"Great Classroom Read Alouds to Recommend to Teachers"
1. The Truth About Georgie
2. Most any Roald Dahl book
3. How to Eat Fried Worms
4. The Graveyard Book or another Neil Gaiman
5.....etc

Any suggestions to add to either of those lists? Would love your good reads input. Though maybe that Nancy Pearl will also offer some last minute inspiration:)

4 comments:

Liz said...

Great to read out loud:
The Great Brain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Brain
The Wish Giver
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wish_Giver


Also for Reluctant Boys any of the Artemis Foul books (Also by Colfer) are fantastic
The Animorphs series is great especially for 11ish yr old boys.

Lindsey Hicks said...

I know Bryan loved Ender's Game when he was a young reader. I wasn't crazy about it myself, but then I also wasn't a boy . . .

LJ said...

Either Holes or Maniac Magee for the the reluctant boy reader, and The Mysterious Benedict Society as a read-aloud. Man, I love those books.

Unknown said...

what did you end up doing?