Sunday, February 17, 2008

Ode to TJ Maxx and a Teal Pot

When I was little I remember throwing a fit everytime my mom took me shopping her to TJ Maxx. It seemed like she would spend hours puttering through the lotions, shoes, linens, cooking ware and specialty foods. If you have ever been to TJ Maxx you will know it was meant for puttering. It would bother me to bored tears how she would hardly ever end up buying anything when we spent so much time there (and the times when she did buy something she would most likely return it the next day).

While she tried things on and sorted through different novelties, my mom would quiet me while I sat in the half size TJ Maxx cart by letting me search through her purse to pick out all the loose change that had spilled from her wallet. Anything I found she would let me keep. Most of the time it was just stinky pennies but oh the excitement of finding a quarter! The way Mr. Swirly Patterns described me was money for me when I was little translated into "candy points". So a quarter was 25 candy points to me and meant a handful of stale sugar beads from any candy dispenser. I could mellow long enough for my mom's TJ Maxx wandering fix for candy points like that.

Fifteen years later, I will give up all (well maybe just most) candy points for any time to wander TJ Maxx. I can't think of anything more theraputic than poking through different stationary sets, kitchenwares and exotic foreign foods. Although I rarely even buy anything when I go, just like my mom, on one of my last trips I brought home a lovely teal enameled, cast iron pot. I can't tell you in words of its beauty, so I have posted a picture. It reminds me of Matt's Grandma Sweeney and her teal kitchen. Just looking at it and thinking of all the things it will slowly braise and boil takes my thoughts to happy, serene places. Matt christened it on Valentine's Day when he made Beef Bourguignon. And oh the joy of comfort food cooking that pot brought into our home.

8 comments:

LJ said...

I have a yellow pot kind of like that. It's really good for making candy in.

jo said...

I've yet to discover the "trick" to TJ Maxx... perhaps one day.

Grace Rich said...

I went to Arizona last weekend and we went to Lance Chance, which is apparently the Arizona, better version of TJ Maxx. A lot of people here had heard of it. I didn't know it was so popular, but it was great! I got out of there only spending about $100 but could have spent much more. I love those places, as long as I'm in the mood to putter

natalie said...

Cate this is great-- that's totally how I felt about those stores when I was younger, but I think my experiences would have been better if I had gotten candy points.

I enjoy TJ Maxx, Ross etc as long as I have enough time to dig through everything and find something worth taking home.

Joy Elizabeth Jackson said...

Oh my gosh. You look just like Grandma Sweeney! I love it! Does Matt know where he wants to go to school yet? Maybe Todd can get an internship around the same area...

T.R. said...

You know how I feel about treasure hunting!

Mary said...

I like how you coordinated your outfit to match the pot.

KurtandLori said...

Cate and Matt...we are impressed with your cookware and your culinary adventurousness. Matt is going to have to cook some of the stew for us, too. By the way, the original Grandma Sweeney says she covets that pot (and the purse and the scarf).