Saturday, February 2, 2008

How to Run through February



Do you ever feel like you're in a movie? I guess not just a movie but you...your movie. Sometimes I get that feeling when I'm running. Actually sometimes that is how I can get myself out the door when I keep finding things to do around the house to keep me from it. I tell myself that I will go and run and I will be like the cover of a Runner's World magazine. Not the cover. No. Those are usually of gaunt looking extremists that intimidate me at races. Instead it is more of the picture you see when you turn to the "Rave Run" section. The picture that shows the sillouhette or some dramatic form of a runner in one of the most beautiful places you could imagine to travel to on foot. I swear, everytime, I would run there barefoot.

I would never submit a picture of myself to a magazine that would show everyone where this place is for me or what I look like when I am there. Sometimes, though, maybe even more often than not, I find that place when I run. If I'm honest, most of the time it is in my head. There are no trembling aspens in February. The air isn't thick enough to fill my lungs and there is no irridescent hanging mosses in Utah. But I swear it's all there. I find a long stretch that sets me staring uninterrupted into the fog swirling Timpanogus and it makes me someone famous. Or maybe just someone who is really important just because I see it.

I can't get there if I can hear the rush hour around me. If I hear the traffic I see the the exhaust puffing from cars. But if I have my music I get caught up in something bigger and more extraordinary. I listen to something poetic that someone else wrote which really has nothing to do with me but should. A lot of the times I don't even know what the song is really about but that makes it even easier for it to be my song. Lately, Miss Camera Obscura has my been my lead voice on these runs. Sometimes I think she can sing the most beautiful things.
Unfortuately there is no way I know how to play one of her songs. I've tried for the last 2 weeks to figure out how to play her on my blog but alas, my techy-incompetence overcomes me. But I will share this part of my "rave run" with you. This song makes me feel pretty awesome too. If I swore, I would say I feel pretty damn awesome when I run to it...but I don't swear of course.

4 comments:

Joy Elizabeth Jackson said...

I feel like I'm in a movie ALL the time! I even create my own soundtrack in my mind. And boo-hoo to you, too.

LJ said...

Filthy lies, Cate. You're a swearin' kinda gal. (Or "swarin'", as they say 'round these parts.)

chrissy said...

you remind me of cronk from emperor's new groove. you know what i'm talking about.

i enjoy that image. :)

mrs. everything said...

Camera Obscura is so fun. I think Tracy Campbell is the singer's name. Seriously fun, although for running (if I did it) I would probably listen to a lot of Kylie Minogue remixes.