Sunday, November 25, 2007

what makes Robert Smithson so great



The day after Thanksgiving, us Brookses (and Sweeneys) found ourselves grateful for Mr. Robert Smithson. I am thankful indeed that he finds the same kind of art and beauty in Utah landscape, most especially the Great Salt Lake. This was my third pilgrimmage to the Spiral Jetty and I would say that it gets better everytime but really it is just completely different. In late July you can wade out to the jetty tip in water that reflects your image as still as a mirror. When I have gone during the winter though the lake recedes and has taken on a foamy red tide. The wind is nearly unbearable but makes the whole experience so sublime despite spending an hour driving on burley dirt roads and passing endless cattle grates.



It was lots of fun.

We made salt shadows.

Matt got really cold.

English said I looked like a barge hauler on the Volga River (rightly so).

And I found a neat stick.

The best thing though was that I was able to experience it this time with that dear Matt of mine.

9 comments:

kami said...

cate! that looks like a bunch of fun - this is kamille by the way. we still need to get together and catch up! we have a blog too...you should visit it when you have time...it is tklarsen.blogspot.com

kel said...

hey... your blog looks like mine. ha!

mairzy said...

I've never been there. . .but it looks like I should try to make at least one trip, eh?

jo said...

wait... that doesn't look like the one I saw...

just kidding

Joy Elizabeth Jackson said...

Only two weeks until I see you guys! I'm so excited I could cry. Or maybe that is pms. Either way, I'm excited.

Ellen said...

You two looks adorable in your pictures. See you soon!

LJ said...

Hi. It's Ma'mselle Laurie. I miss you lots.

Mary said...

Cate. And Matt.

T.R. said...

If this were Fish Without Faces, this would be under "Apocalypse". But somehow you guys look happy enough.