Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Years Eve syndrome

I hereby resolute in this 2000 and 8 year to:
1. write at least one blog a month

Most often, I really hate New Years Eve. Actually, I should modify that and say that I am usually miserable on New Years Eve. No fault of the holiday really except that it demands that you have the Most Ultimate Super Coolest Night EVER! Otherwise, you're some kind of loser who has nothing socially promising to look forward to in the new year. Also, the placement of News Years Eve as a chaser to a week+ of a lot of traveling, last minute frenzies of shopping, and feasting on rich foods in a house full of family is not so helpful for you to feel up to Ultimate Super Coolest Night EVER! By the time New Years starts making up its expectations I am usually sick, exhausted to apathy, or (as it went in high school) feeling like a loser for not having anywhere to go besides drinking Martinellis with my parents at home. At least, that's how New Years Eve always felt to me.

This year wasn't Awesome or Super Ultimate or even INCREDIBLE!!!! But it was nice and it was fun. After a campy Mexican dinner at La Frontera, my mom, Matt and I made vanilla cardamon cookies from my new cookie press. Matt and I then delivered them with tea to a friend of mine who had experienced the "sick" and "exhausted to apathy" News Years Eve syndrome of which many of us may be acquainted. When we got home my mom had set up the fixings for round after round of Rummy cards and Mexican Train.

Indeed we even went a little wild with the holiday crackers and noise makers. After resolutions we toasted in the New Year with Simply Grapefruit. Oh how lovely it was. Turns out dominoes aren't such a social sin on this holiday. Really, it can make one of the best endings to a great year.

Oh...and here's some pics from the christening of the aforementioned cookie press. It's great.


5 comments:

Sarah said...

Secret Santa, I presume. I love the cookies, you are so creative! I have to admit seeing you all in those hats made my new year!

LJ said...

I'm glad you had A Very Harry Potter New Year. Please share your cookie recipes with me.

Mary said...

You look pretty flipping awesome in the top photo.

Ellen said...

Happy New Year!

T.R. said...

nice hat, poindexter!