Monday, January 16, 2012

What is an Experience Zone you may ask?

One of the most defining (and in my opinion, coolest) Anythink methods is the "Experience Zone". It is a hard thing to define, we are constantly trying to do just that at meetings. Still, the best way I can describe one is by saying that it is sort of library meets museum or book display meets program. It should be a discovery for library users when them come into the library that in a creative way brings the collection alive - a self-guided way of learning and much less structured than a program. It should be an "experience" where they indirectly experience the "lifelong learning" phenomenon all public libraries seek to promote. Need an example?

Well, I have done several experience zones since starting this last August including zombie magnetic poetry set up by a paranormal and poetry book display, magic eye and optical illusion pictures throughout the teen area, origami, etc etc. The one I did this month though is what I think is my best yet and it warms my librarian heart every time I see someone "experiencing" the community puzzle I made with one of the shelvers I worked with (a theater, media arts major - great with diverse materials!). It was quite the process to make...

I developed a mighty callous during the exacto-knife cutting phase with the foam boards. I think Sarah did too.

And figuring out the mounting logistics was a wee bit tricky. But it worked in the end - here is the result thus far. Only a few more pieces left!
We made sure the board was sticky so that once people decorated their pieces they would readily stick up on the framed puzzle. The numbers helped people match up the right pieces to the right place. So far I would say it has been a great success with surprisingly few mishaps. I have to admit, I just can't get over how great the metaphor is of having the community put together a big puzzle like this. Such a great message to library users:)

I am already thinking of the next experience zone a couple months down the road. I am deriving inspiration from these incredible videos one of my co-workers showed me of the Glass Harp.





Not that I could set up anything as elaborate as this but I am thinking of having these videos available to watch somehow and then have several crystal goblets set up with a wee bit of water in them for them to explore the different sounds they can make with them. The logistics are always the tricky part - must think of a way to attach them to the table so they can't be stolen, broken, etc. But I have a couple of months to figure it out. Any ideas? Suggestions?

1 comment:

linny said...

Wow! Now I am trying to figure out how to incorporate this whole glass harp thing into my curriculum.