Sunday, November 27, 2011

Traditionally Unconventional

It's funny how living in lots of new places during the holidays makes you less loyal to maintaining traditions. I know people who have an annual obligation for every day of the week leading up to and the week following a holiday. It becomes overly ritualistic and though I have a handful of promises I keep to myself for events from year to year, lately I have really embraced the freedom of knowing that I really don't "have" to do anything the same this year as I did last. When I think about it, I have spent the last three Thanksgivings in unconventional ways:

2009 - Austin, TX  - Matt and I went to Fredericksburg and stayed at a B&B, ate at Rather Sweet bakery twice, watched movies, rode a tandem bike around (how hipster of us - I know) and then hiked Enchanted Rock.

2010 - Edinburgh, UK - Ran on the Chariot's of Fire beach, explored St Andrews and ate fish and chips with Matt and my mum, as it were.
2011 - Denver, CO - Did a crazy holiday workout with the Jeffco Aquatic Master's swim team in the am, enjoyed a heaping bowl of Pho at one of the many Vietnamese places in town, made and ate Maple Pecan Pie and watched The Outsiders.

The one aspect of this phenomenon that is proving to be a bit painful is that each year I am pining for past experiences. Perhaps this is how traditions start. A tradition is the closest, the next best, thing to making sure you get to relive all that was great and memorable from the year before. When every year offers something different, that means there is something to miss. There's the rub. Still, I imagine that future eras of my life will offer the same-ness, the tradition moreso than my life does now. In the meantime, I am going to collect a heap of limited time only experiences that add to all that I have to be grateful for the next year. I believe that would be under the umbrella of "grateful for such a fulfilling and opportunity filled life".

5 comments:

Mary said...

Your hair is long, you look skinny, and that Vietnamese food looks delicious. I wish the chariot's of fire beach running scene of you were a bit longer though.

The last three years abroad I have managed to get invited to thanksgiving dinners. This year I pulled three dinners off, heh! but none of them were on the actual day. The actual day I had to work per normal though I did manage that evening to get everyone to say one thing they were grateful for at institute. I was the only American.

I kind of like traditions, or at least I like it when other people follow traditions and then invite me along.

linny said...

Thankful for a daughter that has what it takes to be happy where ever she is planted at the moment.

Way to Carpe Diem Cate.

PS
You also have cute hair:)

Ryan said...

I love how you guys do things! You are always so adventurous and up for fun alternatives to everything!

Cathryn said...

Okay, that last comment was from me and not Ryan. Guess we share a computer!

Ruthie said...

I love the last pic so much! I think it is you to a t! So glad you had a great Thanksgiving. I am so thankful to have a friend like you. Miss you Cate the Great!!!