Friday, November 18, 2011

Big Library News!

I don't want to sound like a pessimist or anything but when I heard about how we were applying to for the IMLS computer learning grant I didn't let myself get super attached to the thought of us getting it. Maybe it was because I got an email before my first day of work saying that I would be on the project planning team if we were to get it. Not to be overly self-deprecating or anything, but I am not used to be associated with stuff as objectively cool and exciting as this. Tell me, do you have to be a public youth services librarian to think this is awesome?!

Let me also say that the types of places that have received this $100,000 tech grant have been library systems like:

Chicago Public
San Fransisco Public
Nashville Public
Free Library of Philadelphia Foundation
Da Vinci Discovery Center (a big name in the modern library world)
etc

Do you see the trend? In other words, these are all places that are more readily recognizably on the map than Adams County or Thorton Colorado. But the thing is, out of the 98 applicants for this grant, we were one of the 12 chosen to do something exciting with this money. And we have big plans for it - and I get to be a part of it! Not only will this mean paid training opportunities with all kinds of cool Apple film and music software but there are even rumors that the project team will need opportunities to "research" the ways this grant is used in places like Washington DC and Chicago. Three cheers for lifelong learning!



Want to learn more? Check out this article Anythink put up announcing their big library news...

4 comments:

Mary said...

Cate,

I like your blog still but these movies both turn on no matter what whenever I look at your blog. It's annoying when I'm reading another post. Disable, please?

cate said...

Wish I could but the only way to do that is to erase them. What is your vote?

Barbara said...

Great post. Congratulations about the grant. Makes your latest resume even better. I don't know what the movies are - I have never had that problem when reading your blog.

Unknown said...

Hip hip hooray!