Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Listing the last minute details...

Things that must be done before 9-3-10:
1. Finish visa application for Matt (by this weekend)
2. Do visa application for me (once Matt is applied)
3. Sell blue car - not too soon though because I still need to work and get groceries.
4. Sell bike, Matt's bass & amp, several other things...
5. Make a "Best of Austin" photo album so we can miss this place good and proper overseas.
6. Cancel phone plan, gym membership and Netflix mail-in plan for beginning of September.
7. Swim in Amherst pool and Barton Springs as many times as possible before leaving.
8. Give away a ton of stuff to Goodwill.
9. Get to the temple while I still have a car
10. Find a furnished studio flat to rent that is closed to campus.
11. Decides what little comes to Scotland like: clothes, COAT!, hand mixer, 9" layer pans, couple of framed pictures, travel guides, New Best Recipe cookbook, Scrabble game & Matt's new English history face cards, traveling Chess set, laptop, speakers, salt crystal from the Salt Flats, camera, iPods, important documents...
Decide what will not come to Scotland: any cake domes, most books, desktop computer:(, so many useful kitchen utensils, portable record player, our comfy bed...
12. Have some quality Brooks time
13. Sign up for Fall classes
14. Highland Games Cake Dome Party 8-10-10!
15. Learn about the best temp agencies for getting a job in Edinburgh

Things that have already been done to be ready to leave:
1. Bought the 1 way plane tickets.
2. Sold the black car (thanks Ellen!)
3. Moved a ton of stuff to the Sweeneys.
4. Swam lots at Barton Creek and the pool on Amherst
5. Had some quality Sweeney time
6. Found good paying summer job to help take the financial sting out of the move
7. Starting saying some farewells to people and places I love here
8. Spent lots of time feeling overheated so that I can remember how frustrating heat can be when I am cold in Scotland.
9. Come to terms with how little that I can bring there
10. Be released from RS presidency
11. Updated my passport

Okay, well, the Things To Do list is much longer than the Things I've Done list but I finally feel organized enough (with my calling over and no summer courses) to even know what I still need to get done. About a month + ago, I would lay awake in bed night after night of after an 11 hour work day, finishing up classes and calling stuff where I would be thinking "I know there is lots to do in order to be ready to move but I am assuming it will somehow get done because it has to - not because I will be able to do it". Well, mostly thanks to Matt and a little to the reprieve in my schedule, we are finally seeing the logistical details come into place.

In the meantime, we are still enjoying life in Austin. Just last night, Matt starting his 6 week rowing course down on Lake Austin. It was hot hot hot and took all kinds of will power to not jump in the river instead of taking a few pictures but Matt seemed to enjoy learning the art of rowing. It something he had been interested in doing for a while. Thanks to dear ol' Dad for knowing what to get him for his birthday this year;) Look at this guy! He's a natural.

And he's happy doing it - you may even be able to spot the smile hidden in his beard. It is hard to catch that on camera sometimes but I promise you it's there.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

You are doing so good already. So good.

chrissy said...

ha! I can totally see Matt loving a rowing class. It fits him!

We will miss you guys so don't get to attached to Scottie land!

LJ said...

Holy Scotland, Batman. I wish you the best of the best.

And your legacy is living on in Show Low, AZ. I made your carrot cake yesterday and it was a hugely smash hit.

Lindsey Hicks said...

Thanks for the quality post and pictures. I would be sad that the cake dome isn't going to Scotland except that it gives you the excuse to find a cool cake plate once you're there.

linny said...

I love that you are taking your salt crystal:)

T.R. said...

Things you may not thought of bringing:
1. Imperial measuring items (measuring tape, cups, tablespoons, etc.) so you can still make your favorite recipes and things in a metric country.

2. Cinnamon (its tricky to find and expensive over there).

3. Electrical adapter AND diffuser (so you don't short anything out.

4. Year's supply of your favorite toothpaste, deodorant, razors, etc. (optional) since Boots Chemist probably won't have them.

5. TR

allyson elizabeth said...

Matt looks like a sailor already! Having moved across the country more than once, I can't imagine move to a different country, let alone learning how to speak Scottish!

Muriel said...

What kind of bike are you selling? I may be in the market.

jo said...

Wow, Cate. This will be awesome. And if I know you, and I think I do, you'll quickly find friends, even in a different country.

Enjoy!

Mary said...

When you visit me in Oxford I will find a why to get Matt a practice in with the boat club. Though a failed member myself, I still have connections.

Joy Elizabeth Jackson said...

LOVE that my (well, your) little Mattie took a rowing class! Was he sore after? Looks like hard work.

And the story about the bat in the trash can is a little creepy. I would be so grossed out. Was it making little noises? Kinda sad, I guess.

I'm so jealous of your Scotland trip. Enjoy every moment of it.