Tuesday, January 19, 2010

First Austin Cake Dome Party!

It was marvelous! We went with a Dr. Seuss theme to assure success. There were just so many possibilities with a theme like that and it was great fun. Kudos to Christina and Julie for baking up such a thematically impressive cake that tasted terrific! In spite of set backs like the cake spilling in the oven and burning the edges, it turned out tasty and impressive, not to mention how it added so much to the Seuss cheer. Well done! I stood amazed. I just stuck with my trusty carrot cake recipe. The two complimented each other quite nicely though I think.

The spread was fun with multicolored "1 fish - 2 fish" Swedish fish, "Star Belly Sneetch" Snacks, "Big Hearted Moose" cookies, green deviled eggs, and the works.

It was a good time throughout but the party really got going when "Thing 1" and "Thing 2" arrived in full garb. Man! they were the life of the party. You wouldn't believe it!

Julie and Christina came up with a ingeniously Seussy game that was great fun. Sort of "a la" Balderdash, each person wrote down a couple of Dr. Seuss passages on a card then made up one of their own. It was surprisingly difficult to figure out which ones weren't Seuss. He was a prolific writer, afterall. Wanna play? See if you can figure out which one I wrote of the 3:

"But that nooth brush on my tooth brush...Him I could do without!"

"If you find yourself with a case of the Blue Freckle Face, then fear not good pal...for cure it we shall!"

"You will learn about Jake the Pillow Snake and all about Foo Foo the Snoo."

I think everyone learned a little something new about Dr. Seuss and I for one gained and almost Jackie Smaz-like admiration for him by the end. If there is one town that can fully appreciate Dr. Seuss and welcome a Cake Dome party as well as the ol' SLC, it turns out to be Austin. I am surprised it took me so long to get this Texas Town hooked on cake!

6 comments:

LJ said...

I'm dying of envy here.

jo said...

May I just say, well done, cate, well done indeed.

My enthusiasm for suess was nearly topped and I'm so glad to see it happen. Especially in the form of a classic cate cake dome party.

Lindsey Hicks said...

I feel left out. Austin is so lucky. Someday you're going to throw the most amazing birthday parties for your kids and they will also be so lucky.

Joy Elizabeth Jackson said...

That hat cake is amazing. And I just read your other posts, so this comment will be sorta random, but was Coraline kinda creepy or what?! I thought the sewing on the eyes thing was over the top. But I liked it. It was so good to see you guys over the break. I miss you!

allyson elizabeth said...

I have been very sorely missing a cake dome party! Looks like fun!

Cha said...

You mentioned this so I just had to read more :! I love your creativity and this sounds like a blast. Of course, the highlight is seeing you in a full on clown nose :)
Cha