Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Just in case you were wondering

Here is a short list of things that get on my nerves lately.

1. The absurd number of girls on UT campus (and neighboring areas with the same age group) wearing running shorts like they are regular clothes.

2. How it seems that 1 in 3 girls between the ages of 16-25 think that wearing running shorts is not at all sloppy or stupid looking.

3. Girls wearing running shorts with a sweatshirt and flips flops. Can anyone validate how this doesn't make sense?

4. Girls wearing running shorts who clearly .... how can I say ... do not engage in anything that includes physical exercise. Wearing the shorts does not make your legs look like a runner's. Far from it.*

5. The realization that running shorts are the new pajama pants of the south.

Oh well, I suppose it makes it a bit easier now that I have left BYU campus, as most of these girls have reasonably un-big hair and don't tend to wear an unholy amount of mascara. Still, let it be known that running shorts were not designed for fashion. They are clearly designed for a specific function and no amount of "built-in underwear" or colorful stripes on the side can compensate for failure to wear actual clothes to school. The sooner people can begin to respect this principle, the better this Austin community will be.



*Sure. You may say that I am being exclusive about runner's apparel since I wear running shorts when I run. By no means am I suggesting that my legs look any better than most of these girls, even though I do run. I do, however, respect that running shorts are utilitarian. As a result, I avoid wearing them in public at all costs. I respect that running shorts were created by the running geek and for the running geek.

For your convenience, I have included an image of the appropriate use of running shorts.

6 comments:

chrissy said...

i feel the same way about crocks. sorry if you own some.

they were invented for gardening. are you (to the general public) gardening? most likely not.

they are ugly and extremely unfashionable!

Adrienne said...

built in underwear? I might have to get me some...

cate said...

NOOOO! Don't do it Adrienne!

jo said...

So you're telling me people don't try to suntan by rolling their jeans up to their knees and their sleeves to their shoulders? We're not in Provo anymore...

kel said...

thanks to Patagonia and REI more and more people subscribe to the idea that if you wear the gear, you look like you're active (and therefore a bunch of other assumed things) whether you are or not. it's pretty genius and so very annoying.

english said...

gimme a break