Monday, May 25, 2009

How does one cope?

In the last couple months at work I have been taking inventory of the library's collection and weeding out old books that seemed to have too much florescent color and adolescents in tight rolled pants on their covers to still give relevant information on teens' social habits. I also took notice of titles like "America Online: and the new age of the internet", which gave away potentially outdated contents. Although it was tedious at times, I have found it be a good exercise for me to get a more comprehensive view about trends in our non-fiction and audio visual collections. For example, I caught onto one recurring theme which I first noticed while going through the science and health books.

A series kept popping up called "How to Cope with...". It was a pretty ambitious set of books that treated "How to Cope with": Depression, Bi-Polar Disorder, AIDS just as seriously as the most pressing topics of "How to Cope with": Dating, Moving, Suburban Gangs and Teenage Moodiness. And although it struck me as funny that the last one was written for the students to read rather than for the rest of us that work for them at the school, I don't think it struck me as any funnier than the fact that I later found another series of "How to Cope with..." from the Agriculture class's audio visual collection. This series veered away from the emotional and physical concerns of teenagers in affluent Texas suburbia and focused on pressing issues for which seemed universal to us all. Indeed this series covered the ageless question of "Coping with Feral Hogs". Finally someone has found the courage to tackle this urgent issue and although I have not had the chance to view this film as it is in VHS format, I invite you all to learn more about how you can overcome the literal and metaphorical feral hogs in your life and become free of their ravaging effects.

4 comments:

Meg said...

I am not exaggerating when i say (or write) that my heart broke when I missed the chance to see you. And i want you to know that i will forever resent my education because of it.

Ruthie said...

The "Feral Hog'' in my life is that I haven't seen you in forever! I miss you and always look forward to your witty blog posts. Cate the Great, I miss ya!!!!!

Unknown said...

Can you send us some bacon? We love you guys and look forward to cheering you on in the Fireball 10k this July 4th!!!!

english said...

gosh Cate. great post.

so many unanswered questions