Saturday, August 23, 2008

Cinematic Pest Encounters

Does Utah even have cockroaches? I swear I don't remember any. That is to say that I don't recall any experiences like the one from this last Wednesday morning when I was opening my eyes after rinsing the soap out of my hair and coming nose to antennae with a roach on the shower wall. There is nothing quite like it really. It makes me think that maybe all those crazy terrible sci-fi movies like...I don't know maybe The Cockroach that Ate Cinncinati or RoboRoach seem a bit more relevant and threatening. I will say though that the cinematic drama of this experience was a little anti-climactic when the pest control guy came and he was nothing like the hard core John Goodman exterminator. But he did fill up our apartment with something toxic smelling and the roaches have been gradually emerging from their dark hiding places, laying on their backs, and going stiff on our floors. So he did get the job done as far as I can tell. It's just seems a shame that Mr. Ed Wood wasn't around before we gased them. I am sure he could have used this for some raw footage to make a new film to add to his repetoire.

8 comments:

Ruthie said...

I am glad you survived! Eeeekkkk and gross.. continue be brave! Oh how I miss you!!!!!

Jennifer Ames said...

now we know why people can sell pest control over the summer. i hear if you put some coke in a bottle cap, they'll drink it and explode. i don't know if i've ever tried it...maybe when i was young, but good luck!

Muriel said...

We had them in St. George. Let's just say they outranked spiders as the things I dislike crawling on the floor. Now they've been outranked by Hobo spiders here in Idaho.

chrissy said...

i remember those days. yeah texas is fun for gross things. look out for chiggers, ticks, fire ants, cock roaches, and millions of lizards and toads. at least that was my experience in Houston.

jo said...

I read a blog with a similar story and the exact same creepy picture of man-in-a-cockroach-suit. Cockroaches seem so omnipresent! But Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches are pretty amazing.

Leilani said...

Boo! I found you off Anna's blog! Why the heck are you in Texas? We so have to catch up. Sorry to hear about your bug problem. Ugh, we have ants and I swear nothing less than blowing up our house will get rid of them!

linny said...

I feel your pain! I have cockroach horror stories from my days in St. Louis.

Betsy said...

The cockroaches in Haiti were unfazed by aerosol insecticides so my son Tracy & his fellow elders (felders?) took a match to the exiting spray stream.... Dragon's breath yielded a better kill rate.