Sunday, May 4, 2008

How Austin Keeps Itself Weird...

Matt and I just got a package in the mail from U of Texas. Since we've been getting packages since January from a bunch of schools filled with brochures about how super awesome the faculty and dean think their school is, I didn't get too excited. But this parcel seemed like it could be a little different. It was packaged up in a bubble wrap manila envelope (which convinced me that something special was inside). I felt it and it was soft and lumpy...something special, soft, and lumpy.


Matt, the dear, let me open it. And indeed, U of T had sent us a very warm and hearty Texas welcome to their school this fall. Their welcome was complete with an aray of gifts including:
a UofT Law School Hat,
a bumper sticker, and my favorite: a spicey, cinnamon chocolate bat.

As exotic and tasty as it was, the chocolate bat demanded an explanation. After doing some research I learned that, at the estimation of 1.5 million Mexican freetailed bats, Austin is the home of North America's Largest Urban Bat Colony. And perhaps a bit more surprising is that they are so damn proud of it. The Austin City Guide's writes that, "each night from mid-March to November, the bats emerge from under the bridge at dusk to blanket the sky as they head out to forage for food." Wow. With a horrifically beautiful description like that who wouldn't be attracted to an Austin evening like that on the Congress Avenue Bridge? All this makes me think that this city has been successful in its Keep Austin Weird campaign. After living in Provo for the last 5 years of my life, bat colonies and all, I say more power to ya Austin. I am excited to meet you!

And I can't wait to eat all of those cinnamon chocolate bats you keep under your bridge.

5 comments:

english said...

cool!

allyson elizabeth said...

My mom stayed in a hotel right by there. And informed me that the bats were introduced to help decrease rampant malaria in the area. Who knew?

morganne blair witchfield said...

I got it a good earth of all places! In the bulk room. They aren't so potent as they are lingering and memorable; a nice anise finish/aftertaste.

true love

Joy Elizabeth Jackson said...

I'm jealous. All Rexburg has is...well, I'm sure there is something sort of cool here. When I discover it, I'll tell you. Oh, and if you get bit by one, don't worry. Michael Scott is raising money for a cure to rabies.

natalie said...

haha fun, getting packages like that in the mail is always a trip. And those bats sound crazy cool...I'm excited for you to live in Austin, it sounds it's going to be a blast.