Saturday, August 18, 2007

welcome to art class


So here it is: Mrs. Sweeney's art classroom. I have to say that I am pretty proud of it. I never thought I would see the day where I would get paid for talking about and doing art with kids; in other words, I was unsure I would get paid for doing something I want to do. For all those who said "What do you do with an art history degree?" I say "Ha! get paid to do something inspiring and fun."


Also note that although these pictures may not seem profoundly impressive to you they are a giant leap from the before images I should have caught on camera. Let's sum it up by saying that Miss Bliss, the previous art instructor, had been there for years with a different curriculum than the new one I got. Although I am indebted to her for some cool ideas for the upcoming year, she left way too many in that room and hauled the rest of her "stuff" away in a U-Haul. Yup, we're talking a lot of stuff. What kind of stuff? Well, everything from the good ideas I want to keep for beginning drawing exercises to really junky (like hundreds of coloring book pages of clowns and boatload of broken plastic soda lids - for mixing paint?) and at times bizarro remnants (baby doll heads...I really don't know).

Once I got over feeling mean for depriving the students of what maybe beloved coloring book activities and perverse for throwing baby doll heads in a dumpster, I started to really feel like some great things are going to happen this year. I am so excited to paint Sistine murals on butcher paper taped underneath desks, make styrofoam plate prints, and cut out tissue paper to make Matisse masterpieces with these little ones. It's going to be marvelous.

14 comments:

Brittany Calkins said...

CATE! Its soo cute!

McDirty said...

Cool art class. Maybe you could make a mosaic out of dried beans and macaroni noodles! Oh wait, never mind that idea sucks.

cate said...

Whatever! Bean and macaroni mosiacs?...That is pretty much my next lesson plan now. We could talk romanesque mosaic and then make our own renditions. Beautiful Chase.

Joy Elizabeth Jackson said...

I LOVE your classroom. Have to say I'm a little jealous. Baby doll heads? Pretty sure that last teacher was a witch.

Ellen said...

Mrs. Sweeney? I can't believe my brother is actually married. He had better be treating you right. I did an internship for the Chickasaw children's art program and it was a fun experience.

morganne blair witchfield said...

ooohhh! ooohhh! pick me! pick me! i wanna be your assistant! wait, you need credentials? damn!
:)
-morganne

allyson elizabeth said...

Mrs. Sweeney! Your classroom is so adorable. Look at you!

I hope moving went well - we moved all this weekend and as cute as the Pink House I still hate moving.

Brittany Calkins said...

Cate... I love you!

Mary said...

I hope you didn't scar any of those kids by throwing their away their art.

I'm excited for you Super Cate.

kel said...

start 'em young, my friend. start 'em young!

Ellen said...

Hey, cate! Just wondering, could you email some pictures of the flowers from your wedding? My boss was wanting to see how they turned out.

Mary said...

Dear Cate,

Please post again. It's been a very long time.

mairzy said...

Oh Cate I'm so excited FOR you! What a great job to have, and look at how much heart you're putting into it. It's so good to know that kids have you to inspire them :-)

kami said...

cate!! i had no idea you were an art teacher - how awesome!! by the way - it's kamille. we need to get together - it's always my fault we can't work things out, so i am going to be responsible and call you and we'll make a date. i hope things are going well! ps - i have some good news to tell you when we talk!!