Sunday, February 26, 2012

Oscars on Huron Street

I will come back to Chicago, part 3 but in the meantime let me not let Oscar season pass by without highlighting our exciting event hosted at Anythink Huron Street. We'd been working up to it for a couple of months with Garage Band, Animoto and Sock Puppet Flip Camera films programs. The teens turned out some fun stuff and so naturally we needed to showcase everything they were doing. And so, Oscar/Grammy night was born. 
Complete with a red carpet, drinks and popcorn, 

awards (thanks to Cory for his super hard work!) and certificates,

even the paparazzi showed up!
I was so worried when it started snowing the morning of that our turnout would be weak because so many walk or take the bus to the library. It slowed in the afternoon and would you believe I had over 30 people come?! A brilliant turnout, especially considering the weather and a handful of my regulars told me ahead of time they had a conflict and wouldn't be able to make it. We had parents, siblings, the awardees and even a handful of new faces. I wore my prom dress in honor of the evening and the teens seemed to feel pretty special that we pulled out all the stops. It was fun to play everything they made and see it all put together, especially for those that had brought their parents. Though the evening turned out better than I could have hoped, I still have a handful of ideas on how to make it better for next year. So happy Oscar season y'all! Maybe next time you can celebrate by coming to Huron Street:)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome. Just awesome.

linny said...

Those lucky kids. You are amazing

Lindsey Hicks said...

This job is perfect for you