Sunday, August 21, 2011

Scrumptious Living.

So, in an effort to feel at home and begin to embrace what this place has to offer, Matt and I decided to spend our Saturday evening exploring "Scrumptious" in Old Town Arvada. The missionaries recommended we check the place out after talking to them about all of the sweet and chocolatey wonders we discovered in the UK. The elders promised quality bottled sodas, ice cream and of course Roald Dahl-esque (my words not theirs) variety of sweets. With the description they gave us, we knew it was our duty to check this place out in a timely manner.

Indeed, the shop did offer a good spread of our favorites - both the classics to the delicacies, the new and the old, the American staples and the international specials. This included Curly Wurlys and Chico Sticks, M&M and Jelly Belly assortments, Nerds Ropes and Gummy hotdogs/ hamburgers/ fries/ etc, Boston Baked Beans and Black Jack Chewing Gum. It was your basic collection of confectionary delights you would expect from a proper "candy shop". What truly caught my eye though was the Valomilk...

Maybe it is just because I am coming off of year of the Tunnock's Teacake but still, good use of mallow is hard to beat when it comes to confectionary and I had to give this one a go. It took a bit of commitment too as this indulgence costed me a whopping $2.25 (the Curly Wurlys were $1.50 - UK price was 30P!). For this reason, I am not so keen on the "Scrumptious Scene" as they were charging this same Valomilk price for a simple Snickers bar...shameless really. That said, I will indeed be looking for another source for this wee treat. It was this impressive mix of chewy and sticky, chocolatey and creamy and of course oh so sweet. It may just be able to make everything right about coming back to the Teacake-ignornant U.S. Now to find something which fills my sultana scone and clotted cream empty soul here...though perhaps with me driving a car to work again, I may need to find contentment without as much British influence in my diet.

PS - Do you like conversing on candy? Do you fetishize it like I do? If so, may I suggest a listen to Chase's Kandy Korner? Matt is even featured on Episode 3: Milky Way Simply Caramel. Listening may inspire you to try something new that could change your candy paradigm.

1 comment:

linny said...

You always find the best of whatever there is wherever you go.