Friday, December 4, 2009

What Makes You Hard Core?

Today I went for a swim in that pool I love on Amherst Avenue. I thought twice before getting into my swim suit as the weather forecast called for snow. Which here in Austin the forecast of any kind of snow creates somewhat of an apocolyptic frenzy in everybody. People prepare for snow in much of the same manner that they do for hurricane - making sure they have food storage in case they get "snowed in", calling into work to make sure they can come in late in case the roads are dangerous, etc. The only difference is that when there is a hurricane, it is actually kind of scary and destructive whereas the snow we get is more comparable to a romantic flury you would see setting a mood in some cheesy chick flick scene on an ice skating pond or a carriage ride. It is more like that kind of snow than "The Shinning" but you wouldn't know it if you talked to anybody. Nope, any snow in Austin is as threatening to daily routine as a whiteout blizzard or golf ball sized hail, which is something that is actually known to frequent this region.

Back to my swim. Well, there isn't much to say except that it turns out that there is nothing more thrilling to me than swimming the backstroke with flurries of snow hitting my goggles and face. That pool is just magical in the winter.* The colder the day the better. Once temps drop below 50 degrees you are guaranteed a lane to yourself if not the whole pool. On those days, steam swirls up from the water so thick at night that you can't even see the other side of the pool clearly. Of course the transition from towel to pool is brisk and you learn how to put your cap and googles on in few short motions but once you get your stroke into a rhythm...well...it's a good time. Like running, I don't think outdoor winter swimming is for everyone but if it is for you then there is nothing that could make you happier than this pool was today.

When I got out and started heading to the car in my towel and flip flops a girl in a parka and scarf called to her dog through the tall collar of her coat. Then she took one look at me and said, "Did you just go swimming?!" I told her "yeah, the pool's heated though". I could tell she was thinking about whether or not that made seeing me in a parking lot with wet hair, a swimming suit, towel and flip flops normal. "Oh. Huh. Really?" I don't think she was "really" surprised by the fact that the pool was heated so much as the idea that somehow this would make up the difference enough in 35 degree weather for a person to jump half naked into a pool of water and swim around for an hour. That's fair enough though. I felt like telling her though that this is the only remotely "hard core" thing I ever do with myself. I will never be the type of person who will parachute out from a plane for the thrill of it. I don't jump off cliffs into deep water. I brake down every hill, no matter how small, when I am on a bike. But I swim when it's cold obligingly and even in cold water when there isn't a pool around. Yep. Maybe that's not that cool but I still think I fit Jack Black's definition of being hard core because outdoor winter swimming is living hard core.
*As long as it is heated of course. This experience wasn't nearly as enchanting on Tuesday when they decided not to turn the heater on that day even though it was only 45 degrees outside.

5 comments:

linny said...

Reminds me of a three year old that did the back float in a cold Lake Waramaug (CT) in September. The other beach folk stared as she told them "The water's fine. Come on in!"

Adrienne said...

very hardcore :) Snow in Austin sounds like what my brother said snow in Seattle is like - they get a dusting and the whole city shuts down. I'm glad you were wearing flip flops in the snow. That makes me think happy thoughts.

english said...

yes.

hrd cor!

and a dry ice fog machine at the pool

Liz said...

Oh my goodness! The School of Rock clip was adroitly used. Well done. Reminds me of back in the day at the bookstore. Kind of like alphabetizing music after a six am swim. Speaking of which, if you ask me, six am swims are even HARDER CORE than winter swims based soley on the earliness thereof. Doble hardcore Cate? Check.

jo said...

Well done!

We had a similar experience here in Wisconsin this morning. Only we were more like the woman with the dog unfortunately.

As we drove through downtown D-ville, I spotted a 20-something dude with nothing on but some sweatpants and a sleeveless shirt (and a baseball cap on backwards...the whole ensemble was solid black by the way... which makes the whole thing better). Anyway, I think my comment to K was, "Hey check him out: 27 degrees, heading to the post office after an awesome morning of lifting in my sleeveless shirt. I'm so hard core."

This I say as I'm shivering in my multiple layers... not so hard core.