Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Summers get you through all the other seasons.

Yep. It's been awhile since I've last posted and with my library science program starting this weekend, two jobs that are now in full force, all the churchy stuff that goes along with being the R.S. enrichment lady, and getting enough "Cate time" (ie swimming and running time) and Matt time - I think I am going to be hard pressed to be a frequent blog poster. So I best not apologize as this is one of many late blog posts to come.

Still, that is not to say I haven't been enjoying myself these last few weeks. There has been a cake dome party, some scenic running, a reunion with my beloved Austin, TX (after a 6 week hiatus of living in OK), plenty of quality Matt time, and all kinds of great activities that leave you with a slight sunburn. The heat has been oppressive but I am getting so accustomed to swimming instead of running these days I have been able to weather it well enough. Still, hitting our 58th triple digit degree day today has made me welcome hurricane season with open arms (sorry Houston but that is just one less thing you have going for you).

When the going gets hot and I find myself spending an increasing amount of time under florescent light at work and soon to be school, I remember 2 things:

My watermelon cake
and my run up Ephraim Canyon on Skyline Drive with some great company and balmy, cloudy weather.
It was a great day to end all summers.
I hope the rest of you had a few days like that this summer to get you through the rough seasons ahead (well unless you live out our way in which case the summer is the cruelest season). Regardless of weather there is something about summer that all the Redfish folk of 2006 said that is sacred. If you haven't had a sacred summer there is still time for a skinny dip in a glacier lake, a Tiger's Blood snow cone in a hot parking lot, a tin foil dinner up the canyon, park picnic or something the like. If you have had a few sacred moments, then keep them safe. You'll never know when you're going to need them.

5 comments:

linny said...

I agree, Utah and Texas are great locations for a little "sacred summer" action.

allyson elizabeth said...

I didn't appreciate good roommates, bike rides, a trip to Red Fish, and good ol' SLC until we moved.

T.R. said...

was the foil dinner comment for me?

cate said...

Amen to you Allyson.
And TR, I indeed did have you in mind when I wrote that.

Unknown said...

I miss you. And your cake dome/kool-aid parties.

That watermelon cake is lovelier than I can describe.